Schizophrenia can be a terrifying psychotic disorder to face. Knowing a little more about the types of schizophrenia and how they may affect your life can help make dealing with the mental disorder a little easier. Once you know a little more, it is important to consider your treatment options. Here at GoMentor.com, we have a modern form of therapy online that may interest you. First, however, here is a breakdown of the various types of schizophrenia as well as some of the symptoms of the mental disorder.
Types of Schizophrenia
- Paranoid Schizophrenia - Delusions and auditory hallucinations occur with this type of schizophrenia. Common symptoms are anger, anxiety, and being argumentative.
- Hebephrenic Schizophrenia - Also known as disorganized schizophrenia, this variety of the mental disorder causes people to have confusion when it comes to speaking and understanding as well as inappropriate emotions - like laughing at things that aren't funny.
- Catatonic Schizophrenia - This type of schizophrenia centers around a person's ability to move around. For some it means staying absolutely still for long periods of time while for others it means having to move constantly.
- Post-Schizophrenic Depression - This occurs after the major signs of schizophrenia go away. Most of the time the depression is not very severe and is treatable.
- Residual Schizophrenia - If schizophrenia has appeared in the past, gone away, then returns, it is said to be residual schizophrenia in most cases.
- Simple Schizophrenia - If the symptoms of schizophrenia are mild and not very psychotic, but there is still an inability to function productively in society, it might be simple schizophrenia.
- Unspecified Schizophrenia - This label is given to people who suffer from some or all of the symptoms of the various types of schizophrenia recognized.
Symptoms of Schizophrenia
Symptoms will vary depending on the type of schizophrenia present, but may include the following.
- Agitation and anxiety occur in people who have one of the many types of schizophrenia.
- Poor personal hygiene and an inability to take care of personal issues may be a sign of schizophrenia.
- Poor motor skills and trouble getting around come with some forms of schizophrenia.
- Childish behavior is sometimes exhibited by those suffering from schizophrenia.
- Hallucinations and delusions (persecution or grandeur) are common with schizophrenia patients.
- Inappropriate laughter is another sign of schizophrenia.
- Incoherence and trouble understanding or communicating are symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Withdrawal from society
Dangers of Schizophrenia
As you can see from the various symptoms described above, schizophrenia can be a serious problem no matter what specific type it is. From a person harming themselves while having an episode to someone hurting others unintentionally, there are many risks associated with this psychotic disorder. Because they are so serious and in some cases life threatening, it is important to carefully consider treatment for schizophrenia.
Treatment for Schizophrenia
On GoMentor.com, we take the treatment of schizophrenia and all the related problems seriously. You cna find trained therapists who can help give you the knowledge, guidance and support you need to succeed with dealing with this psychotic disorder and live a fulfilling, productive life. Online therapy for the treatment of schizophrenia is relatively new, but it is a powerful way to apply the tenets of psychotherapy through the power of the Internet. From dealing with the symptoms to avoiding some of the long term dangers of any of the various types of schizophrenia, online treatment can assist you.
Definition of Schizophrenia
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that affects a person's ability to distinguish between what is real and imaginary. The causes of schizophrenia vary slightly, but symptoms of this psychotic disorder generally include anxiety, poor personal hygiene, delusions, hallucinations, and anti-social behavior as well as other physical and psychological signs. Psychotherapy for the treatment of schizophrenia is helpful.
Symptoms of / Reasons for Schizophrenia
- Agitation and anxiety
- Decreased sensitivity to pain
- Poor personal hygiene
- Poor motor skills
- Delusions of persecution or grandeur
- Regressive or child-like behavior
- Laughter that is inappropriate
- Withdrawal from society