What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming?
Neuro-Linguistic Programming, also referred to as NLP, is an approach to communication, personal development, and psychotherapy. There is a connection between neurological processes (neuro-), language (linguistic) and behavioral patterns learned through experience (programming), and these can be changed to achieve specific goals in life.
There are three components and concepts to Neuro-Linguistic Programming:
- We experience the world subjectively thus we create subjective representations of our experience. These subjective representations of experience are in terms of five senses and language. That is to say our subjective conscious experience is in terms of the traditional senses of vision, audition, tactition, olfaction and gustation such that when we—for example—rehearse an activity "in our heads", recall an event or anticipate the future we will "see" images, "hear" sounds, "taste" flavours, "feel" tactile sensations, "smell" odours and think in some (natural) language.
- Behaviour can be described and understood in terms of these sense-based subjective representations. Behaviour is broadly conceived to include verbal and non-verbal communication, incompetent, maladaptive or "pathological" behaviour as well as effective or skillful behaviour.
- Behaviour (in self and others) can be modified by manipulating these sense-based subjective representations.
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming is predicated on the notion that consciousness is bifurcated into a conscious component and an unconscious component. Those subjective representations that occur outside of an individual's awareness comprise what is referred to as the "unconscious mind".
- Neuro-Linguistic Programming utilizes an imitative method of learning—termed modeling—that is claimed to be able to codify and reproduce an exemplar's expertise in any domain of activity. An important part of the codification process is a description of the sequence of the sensory/linguistic representations of the subjective experience of the exemplar during execution of the expertise
How is Neuro-Linguistic Programming beneficial?
Neuro-Linguistic Programming therapy and coaching is extremely effective, because rather than just using questioning skills to get you talking about something, other techniques can be used to help you change your behavior and your thinking. This allows you to be released from the negative memories, thoughts or feelings that are holding you back from making progress.
Neuro-Linguistic Programming can help treat problems such as phobias, depression, tic disorders, psychosomatic illnesses, near-sightedness, allergy, common cold, and learning disorders.
It can also help in the following:
- You find yourself living in, and thinking about the past.
- You constantly procrastinate when you need to complete a project or deadline.
- You feel depressed, sad, upset and you’re not sure why.
- You want your performance to improve at work so you can ask for more money.
- You keep failing at a new health regime, falling off the wagon after a week or month and feel frustrated at yourself.
- You’re stuck in a situation or relationship and don’t know how to get out.
- You lack self confidence which prevents you from speaking up or taking action.
- You want to improve mental and physical performance.
- You want to reveal the barriers that keep you locked in position, restraining you from freedom and independence.
At GoMentor.com we have different therapists and psychologists who offer this method where it is possible for you to move your life forward and get more joy in your everyday life.