I can help you or your loved once move forward overcoming the issues you face in regards to Somatoform Disorders. Click Read more to find out all about how I can help you and book a session or book me for a Free Pre-Session.
Below you can read a extensive article giving you the basic information and I'm sure you'll find the information relevant and insightful.
What is GoMentor?
On GoMentor you can book online therapy and coaching sessions with psychologists, therapists and coaches.
- Get Skype or Phone Counselling
- Book your sessions and pay online
- +300 individual professionals online
- Save time by conduct sessions from home
Online Therapy & Coaching
Booking sessions on GoMentor is quite easy, all you need to do is:
- Click the "Find Professional" button
- Find a professional that you like
- Find a date/time that suits you
- Enter misc. booking details
- Complete payment online
Somatoform disorders cause physical symptoms to appear even though there isn't a medical condition to cause them. The psychological nature of the pains and symptoms can cause people to continually seek treatment even when there is nothing medically wrong with them. Symptoms include insisting on getting medical tests, and real or imagined pain that has no obvious source. Online therapy which can help with the symptoms of somatoform disorders is available from highly skilled therapists on GoMentor.com. Before showing how you can get help, here are some other things you should know about somatoform disorders.
Types of Somatoform Disorders
These are the main types of somatoform disorders.
- Somatization Disorder - Continual complaints of physical symptoms when no physical condition exists to cause the symptoms.
- Somatoform Autonomic Dysfunction - This type centers around problems with a specific organ or section of the body.
- Conversion Disorder - This usually occurs after a traumatic event, and causes impairment of movement or senses that is only psychological in nature.
- Pain Disorder - Chronic pain in one or more areas of the body that has no identifiable cause.
- Hypochondriasis - A belief that physical symptoms (either real or imagined) are signs of a serious illness, even when medical tests show otherwise.
- Body Dysmorphic Disorder - A constant obsession with a physical flaw - real or imagined - that can cause side effects.
- Unspecified Somatoform Disorder - A disorder that shows symptoms from two or more other types of somatoform disorders.
- Undifferentiated Somatoform Disorder - Physical complaints of pain that can't be attributed to a medical condition and last more than six months.
Symptoms of Somatoform Disorders
The exact symptoms that appear with somatoform disorders will depend on the specific disorder, but in general they revolve around physical pains that are not caused by a medical reason. Many people will insist on a barrage of tests, even when they come back negative. Others may go from doctor to doctor, insisting that they have a problem. In others, symptoms may appear as a fear of getting a serious illness that lasts more than a few months. A preoccupation with pain and medical conditions is a good sign that a somatoform disorder may be a problem. If the symptoms do appear, getting treatment can help avoid the dangers of somatoform disorders.
Dangers of Somatoform Disorders
One of the dangers that come with somatoform disorders is the possibility of financial problems due to numerous unnecessary medical tests. Another risk associated with these disorders is that a person will try to make their illness or pain more real by mutilating or harming themselves to mimic symptoms of various diseases or medical conditions. There are various other physical and psychological risks depending on the particular type of somatoform disorder that is diagnosed. They can be minimized, however, when treatment is sought.
Treatment for Somatoform Disorders
Here at GoMentor.com, you can find trained therapists who specialize in somatoform disorders. They can help give the guidance and support needed to effectively deal with these types of disorders. In addition, the online counseling offered here at GoMentor.com can give much needed emotional support. This combination of psychotherapy and the Internet makes it easier than ever to get help with all the symptoms of somatoform disorders.
Definition of Somatoform Disorders
Somatoform disorders cause physical pain and symptoms to appear although the causes are psychological and not health related. Signs of these disorders include an insistence for medical tests, getting a second or third opinion when diagnosis doesn't match what a person wants, as well as other physical and psychological problems. Various forms of therapy and counseling are helpful when dealing with somatoform disorders.
Symptoms of / Reasons for Somatoform Disorders
- Insistence on testing
- Unexplained medical symptoms
- Chronic complaints about pain or other symptoms
- Extreme fear of having a medical illness that lasts more than six months
- Loss of voluntary motor abilities or a sensory function that is not due to medical illness
- Constant pain in one or more anatomical spots
- Preoccupation with an imagined defect
GoMentor.com is the world's biggest online therapy and coaching universe with hundreds of therapists and coaches available for online sessions.
We've listed the top professionals in this specialty below.
I am a qualified hypnotherapist based in Brighton,...
I am a qualified hypnotherapist based in Brighton, and a full member of the British Institute of Hypnotherapy, I started my training in 2005, and am currently working privately as a hypnotherapist.
Dr Keith Hearne (www.keithhearne.com) famous psych...
Dr Keith Hearne (www.keithhearne.com) famous psychologist; world's 1st research 'lucid' dreams; invented 1st dream machine; Euro. Coll. of Hypnotherapy; much TV; 6 books. Dream interpretation, Premonitions, Hypnotic 'gastric band', etc
This icon indicates whether the professional offers sessions conducted via Skype
This icon indicates whether the professional offers sessions conducted by phone
This icon indicates whether the professional offers In-Person sessions.
This icon indicates whether the professional
offers sessions conducted by GoMentor video
There are several types of psychologists, but most of them aim to treat people in crisis.
Hypnotherapist is a therapist, who works with your own internal resources and capabilities through deep relaxation.
A counsellor is a person, who gives advice, but is non directive.
Psychotherapy is a 'talking' therapy, helping to overcome emotional & behavioral anxieties
Mental health nurses work with people suffering from different mental health conditions.