Organic hallucinosis is an organic mental disorder that causes hallucinations. The cause is typically something that is physically wrong with the brain. The main symptom is the presence of hallucinations that may occur in one of many forms, including visual, auditory, olfactory, or somatosensory (physical) hallucinations.
Here at GoMentor.com, we offer online therapy to deal with all the symptoms and dangers of organic hallucinosis. No matter the exact cause, our trained therapists will be able to give emotional support and guidance that can help a person learn to deal with this disorder.
Types of Hallucinations
To understand a little more about what you may be facing, here is some more information on the different types of hallucinations that may result from organic hallucinosis.Visual hallucinations
- These hallucinations cause a person to see things that aren't there. The intensity may vary from person to person.Auditory hallucinations
- If a person hears something that no one else hears, it may be an auditory hallucination.Olfactory hallucinations
- This type of hallucination causes a person to smell something that really isn't there.Somatosensory hallucinations
- These are hallucinations that cause a person to still feel a body part that has been removed.
Types of Organic Hallucinosis Peduncular Hallucinosis
- This refers to hallucinations that stem from problems with the peduncle neural tract (that is connected to the brain stem), and covers a wide range of the root causes of organic hallucinosis.Alcohol Hallucinosis
- A small number of people who go through withdrawal from alcohol may experience auditory hallunications as the brain reacts to a lack of alcohol.
Causes of Organic Hallucinosis
There are many different causes of organic hallucinosis, but here are a few of the more common reasons hallucinations may occur.Psychoactive Substances
- Certain organic substances as well as some that were created in the laboratory result in hallucinations when they are ingested and interact with the brain.Intracranial Causes
- For the most part, these are the main causes of organic hallucinosis. They deal with the physical brain and how it operates. Tumors and head injuries sometimes lead to organic hallucinosis for some people.Sensory Deprivation
- Those who spend long periods in the dark without being able to see or are deprived of other sensory input may start to experience hallucinations. These will vary depending on the senses that are deprived.Disease
- Both Parkinson's and Huntington's Disease are known to cause visual and auditory hallucinations at some stages of the disease.
Treating Organic Hallucinosis
Depending on the cause of the organic hallucinosis, there will be different options available for treatment. Although some cases of organic hallucinosis may need to be treated with drugs, therapy and counseling are recommended even in those cases. For some people, therapy will be enough to stop the hallucinations from happening so often.
For example, if the hallucinations are primarily caused by taking psychoactive or other non-prescription drugs, online therapy may be a great way to make sure a person gets the help they need to overcome their problems. Here at GoMentor.com, we have staff who can help with hallucinosis using online therapy techniques.
Definition of Organic Hallucinosis
Organic hallucinosis refers to an organic mental syndrome that causes hallucinations because of physical problems with the brain. Depending on the type of organic hallucinosis and the root cause, the hallucinations may include auditory, visual, olfactory or other sensory hallucinations.
Symptoms of / Reasons for Organic Hallucinosis
- Auditory Hallucinations
- Visual Hallucinations
- Olfactory Hallucinations
- Tactile or Physical Hallucinations