Dementia causes a loss of basic and advanced brain functions. Symptoms usually include trouble with memory and other cognitive impairments that affect a person's ability to take care of themselves. There are a variety of diseases and physical conditions that may cause dementia, making it a common problem for many people at some point in their life, especially if they are more prone to disease. Because of this, we have developed a platform for online therapy here at GoMentor.com where you can find therapists that can help with all the symptoms of dementia as well as all the negative side effects that come with it. Before showing how this may be able to help with treatment, here are some other facts about dementia.
Types of Dementia
These are the most common types of dementia that people may face. Each of them have slightly different symptoms and dangers that come with them, but they are all serious and should be treated as soon as the symptoms appear.
- Dementia Due to Alzheimer's Disease - Destruction of brain cells causes memory loss as well as a loss of other cognitive abilities.
- Vascular Dementia - Vascular problems - with blood vessels - are the root cause of this type of dementia, the second most common form.
- Dementia Due to HIV Disease - Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) frequently causes neurologic problems, including dementia.
- Dementia Due to Head Trauma - This type of dementia is usually nonprogressive - it doesn't get worse - but repeated head injuries can make the dementia worse.
- Dementia Due to Parkinson's Disease- The deterioration of the central nervous system because of Parkinson's Disease is another cause of dementia.
- Dementia Due to Huntington's Disease - This is primarily an inherited form of dementia that affects personality, moods, and memory.
- Dementia Due to Pick's Disease - This rare form of dementia centers around destruction of the focal areas of the brain, which is the main difference between this type of dementia and Alzheimer's.
- Dementia Due to Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease - This progressive neurological disease is another common cause of dementia as the brain deteriorates.
- Substance-Induced Persisting Dementia - Long term abuse of alcohol and other substances can cause brain damage which results in dementia.
- Dementia Due to Multiple Etiologies - When dementia is caused by more than one etiology - substance abuse and head trauma for example - it can complicate matters even more.
- Unspecified Dementia - This dementia is classified by the unknown nature of the causes of the dementia.
Symptoms of Dementia
The symptoms of dementia will vary depending on the cause of the brain malfunction, but in general they include a deterioration of a person's ability to think clearly and effectively survive in society. The intensity of the symptoms will also vary from mild - problems with calculations - to more severe - hallucinations. Because there are a wide range of symptoms of dementia, it is important to get a proper diagnosis if any of them appear. If not treated correctly, dementia can lead to many other problems.
Dangers of Dementia
When dementia is untreated and people are unsupervised, there is a possibility of various bad events happening because of the impaired judgment or ability to know what to do in an emergency. There are other risks involved as well, ranging from accidents to getting lost. Because of these risks, it is important that dementia is treated properly by trained therapists who know what they are doing.
Treatment for Dementia
Online therapy from highly skilled professionals here at GoMentor.com can treat dementia due to various causes, because we combine trained therapists who specialize in dementia - dealing with the symptoms and trying to avoid the risks and dangers associated with it with the power of the internet. Therapy and counseling are both powerful ways to get assistance in coping with everything that comes with dementia. Treatment may vary slightly depending on the cause, but after diagnosis, the trained therapists here at GoMentor.com will be able to point you to the place where you will get the most help.
Definition of Dementia
Dementia is a loss of brain functions that cause memory problems and other cognitive impairments. Symptoms will vary depending on the cause of the dementia, but generally they will include problems with short term memory, difficulty finding the right word to use, problems performing calculations, lack of personal care, as well as other physical and mental problems. Treatment for dementia is possible with the proper therapy and counseling.
Symptoms of / Reasons for Dementia
- Short term memory problems
- Trouble finding the right word to use
- Problems with calculations
- Mood changes
- Trouble with simple tasks